BMWED 2019/2020 SCHOLARSHIP
BMWED 2019/2020 SCHOLARSHIP
Published: Aug 16 2019 10:50AM
BROTHERHOOD OF MAINTENANCE OF WAY EMPLOYES DIVISION
2019/2020 SCHOLARSHIP NOTICE
Pursuant to BMWED Resolution #37, reaffirmed by the 2018 National Division Convention, four scholarships in the amount of $4,000.00 each will be awarded in February 2020 to BMWED members or eligible dependents, enrolled or scheduled to enroll in an accredited college, university or vocational trade school.
Applications are due January 15, 2020.
To apply for a BMWED scholarship, submit via mail the following:
• Completed application form.
• Most recent academic transcript (if applicable).
• College entrance examination (ACT and/or SAT) scores (if applicable).
• List of extra-curricular, community service and union activities, if any.
• A statement of 300 words or less, written by applicant, outlining applicant’s employment history and career goals.
• A statement of 300 words or less written by applicant on the importance of worker’s rights and Unions in the work place.
Application materials must be submitted by mail* and be received by BMWED at the address below no later than the close of business January 15, 2020. Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted. Please submit to:
Attn: Katie Fruzynski
41475 Gardenbrook Road
Novi, MI 48375
Any questions regarding the BMWED Scholarship or the application process may be forwarded via e-mail to Katie Fruzynski, Director of Education, at Katie@bmwe.org or call 248-662-2655.
*Note: Pursuant to IBT policy, delivery of any package or mail by non-union carriers will not be accepted by the IBT shipping/receiving department. Therefore, to assure delivery please mail through the United States Postal Service [USPS] or United Parcel Service [UPS].
The following criteria must be met:
• Applicant must be a dependent of a BMWED member in good standing who is enrolled or planning to enroll in an accredited college or university, or a full-time undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at an accredited college or university; or
• Applicant must be a dependent of a BMWED member in good standing who is enrolled or planning to enroll in an accredited vocational and trade school programs; or
• Applicant must be a BMWED member in good standing who is enrolled or planning to enroll as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university.
All applicants will be verified for meeting all the necessary criteria. The applications will be made anonymous and put forward to a preliminary Scholarship Selection Committee. The committee will select ten (10) applications to move forward. The 10 selected applications will be copied and distributed to the BMWED Vice Presidents who will review and rank each application on a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being the highest ranking and 1 being the lowest ranking. The four applicants receiving the highest aggregate ranking will receive notice of the scholarship award in February 2020. Any tie in ranking score will be decided by the National Division President based upon his final review of the tied applications.
The scholarship award check will be made out directly to the college, university or vocational school, where the award recipient is enrolled or accepted for enrollment. Upon notification of the award, the award recipient shall furnish the National Division President with information to facilitate issuance of the award check payable to the accredited university or vocational school where the applicant is accepted or enrolled.